As new breweries continue to pop up in the Pittsburgh area, we continue to order flights of beer.
- Allegheny City Brewing, in Pittsburgh’s North Side, is a dog friendly brewery with up to 12 beers on tap. Although there is no menu, many local restaurants deliver to customers enjoying their beer while playing one of the many board games available.
- Grist House is a dog friendly brewery in Millvale. In lieu of a menu, customers can order from a food truck parked out front. The food truck schedule is available on their website to plan your visit around a favorite. With 12 beers on tap and a large outdoor area, this brewery is busy regardless of weather.
- After undergoing some changes, the brewery previously known as Draai Laag, emerged in March 2018 as Strange Roots Experimental Ales. There are about 8 unique beers on tap and a menu of tacos, appetizers, and sandwiches. There is ample outdoor seating and several tables inside accompanying a large bar area.
- Crafting beer since 1986, Penn Brewery has 6 year round beers on tap in addition to a couple seasonal. The menu features old world dishes in addition to several vegetarian options that can be enjoyed inside or in the outdoor, dog friendly biergarten. The Chocolate Meltdown, released in February, is one of our favorites.
- Atop a steep hilltop sits Spring Hill Brewing, specializing in Belgian style session ales. Picnic tables and a large porch provide outdoor seating. An event hall shares the right side of the building. Corn hole and board games are available to entertain visitors while sampling the 5 beers on draft and indulging in the outside food truck.
- The Church Brew Works offers an extensive menu, small outdoor seating area, and about 11 beers on draft. Customers sit on smaller, but original pews, while gazing at copper and steel tanks brewing at the altar, beautiful stained glass windows, and high arched ceilings.
- Brew your own beer at Copper Kettle Brewing Company. For $200 choose between 40 different recipes ranging from hoppy to dark or easy drinking to boozy. For 2 hours a brewer guides customers through weighing and mixing while learning about the ingredients. In 3-6 weeks return to bottle and label (bottles, caps, and labels provided) 4 cases of beer.
- With cozy chairs and couches along with a tag line Drink Comfortably, customers can truly relax while drinking one of Couch Brewery’s 11 draft beers. Not offering any food, the brewery does have a great list of cocktails. I recommend the Lemmy made with vanilla vodka, Kahlua, and one of the stouts on draft.
- Cinderlands Beer Co. new to the Lawrenceville area has a small, continuously changing menu and six beers on draft.
- The Full Pint Wild Side Pub in Lawrenceville, offers the same delicious beers as the brewery in North Versailles at a convenient location. The menu is small but won’t disappoint with snacks, flatbreads, and sandwiches.
- There isn’t a bare wall at Voodoo Brewery in Homestead. In addition to the 10 high alcohol content beers on draft, special beer cocktails are available. In the summer, the garage door opens and the bar stools spill out onto the sidewalk. There is a growing menu of pizza, burgers, pierogies, and snacks.
- Dancing Gnome Beer recently branched out from exclusively hopped beer. 2 of the 4 beers on draft include a coffee stout and sour. Check out their website for the food truck schedule.
- The Pittsburgh Hofbrauhaus closely resembles the original Hofbrauhaus in Munich, Germany, complete with live music, giant pretzels imported from Germany, and Aloisius, the beer angel, looking down upon the patrons enjoying beer amongst the wooden picnic tables. There are plenty of seats inside or on the patio to enjoy the Bavarian menu. The monthly seasonal craft beer keg tapping celebration takes place the first Wednesday of every month. Every Saturday visitors can compete in a Stein holding competition. The monthly seasonal bier is on tap in addition to the three classic Bavarian brews: Original Lager, Hefe Weizen, and Dunkel. Looking closely, a chalkboard menu features fruit infused Hefe Weizen, blood orange, passion fruit, and blueberry.
- Hitchhiker Brewing Co. in Mount Lebanon recently opened a second location in Sharpsburg. This dog friendly brewery has a limited menu of appetizers to accompany the 6 beers on tap.
- Spoonwood Brewing Company has a large, open indoor seating area. There are 12 unique beers on tap, an extensive menu, and a large outdoor seating area.
Outside of Pittsburgh
- In an old electric company building, Petrucci Brothers Brewing has 6 beers on tap, and no menu at this time. The brothers love to chat and share their beer knowledge and up coming plans.
- North Country Brewing, in Slippery Rock has 13 beers on tap, a delicious menu, and outdoor seating. There are no televisions to distract customers from observing the unique wooden decor and seating from this two-story establishment.
- Off the beaten path, Crooked Tongue Brewing, LLC is worth the drive to try the 13 unique beers on draft. The menu, events, and outdoor seating continue to grow.
- ShuBrew in Harmony is a small tap-room with 8 beers on draft offering pizza, sandwiches, small plates, salad, and build your own rice or noodle bowls.
That’s all the breweries for now.
Last updated: July 2018