Craft beer is becoming more popular in Huntsville, Alabama. So popular, there are now 2 downtown Huntsville craft beer trails. Cards for the brewery or bottle shop craft beer trails can be obtained at any participating brewery or at the Huntsville/Madison Visitor Center.
Campus No. 805, was once S.R. Butler High School until closing in 2009. 5 years later, the Stone Center building, reopened as a community entertainment venue with breweries, axe throwing, restaurants, a salon, bottleshop, and fitness training studio. Straight to Ale Brewery and Tap Room and Yellow Hammer Brewing, located in Campus No. 805, are only a short walk from Innerspace Brewing Company and Salty Nut Brewing.
Straight to Ale Brewery
- Southern born and Southern brewed since 2009, Straight to Ale Brewery and Taproom has over 10 beers on tap, and a delicious menu of tacos, appetizers, pizza, and sandwiches. Past the main bar, beyond the stainless steel tanks, is a large outdoor patio and bar. Across a miniature disc golf field, Yellow Hammer Brewing can be seen from a seat at the bar. We learn from locals, down the hall from the main bar, a secret door hidden among a wall of lockers leads to a speakeasy selling Shelta Cavern Spirits distilled in-house including gin, rum, vodka, and whiskey.
Yellow Hammer Brewing
- Yellow Hammer Brewing opened in Huntsville in 2010. More than 20 craft beers on tap can be enjoyed inside the taproom or on the large outdoor patio. Behind the taproom is Yellowhammer’s Lost Highway Bierhall, popular for live music and private events. Delicious Earth and Stone Wood Fired Pizzas, salads, and appetizers are served next door to the taproom.
Innerspace Brewing Company
- Since 2016, Innerspace Brewing Company has been focusing on farmhouse and session ales, beer for the final frontier. This space themed brewery has 10 beers on tap to enjoy in the tasting room or in the biergarten.
Salty Nut Brewery
- Salty Nut Brewery, next door to Innerspace Brewing Co., has 6 beers and lemonade on draft. Check out their event calendar for food trucks, game nights, live music, and more.
Below the Radar Brewhouse
- Below the Radar has over 30 beers on draft, an outdoor patio, and a large menu including brunch, sandwiches, dinner entrées, appetizers, and vegetarian options. Avoid the dinner rush, this is a popular place in the evening.
Green Bus Brewing
- Less than half a mile from Below the Radar is Green Bus Brewing. We love the green lighting, decor, small upstairs seating area, great draft list, and it’s dog friendly. Here we sampled the most unusual beer, a coconut curry hefeweizen.
Mad Malts Brewing
- The Vanilla Porter was our favorite of the 12 beers on tap at Mad Malts. We enjoy our flight at a picnic table in the large back yard. In addition to the taproom of vinyl chairs and tables, is upstairs setting with overstuffed chairs and couches. Check the calendar for live music, food trucks, and events.
Bonus Breweries: Madison, only 15 minutes from Huntsville, has 3 additional breweries to check out.
Old Black Bear Brewing Company
- Our first stop in Madison is Old Black Bear Brewing Company. There is an extensive menu of salads, burgers, pastas, entrées, and appetizers. We order a flight of 8oz pours and sample 4 of the 5 beers on tap. Before checking out the outdoor patio and playing a couple games of bocce, we order a couple cocktails.
Rocket Republic Brewing Company
- Rocket Republic Brewing Company has been brewing beer since 2013. This space, punk themed brewery has 17 beers on tap including our favorite beer of the trip, Cosmic Cookie, an oatmeal cookie ale. The taproom has plenty of room for board games, ping-pong, and an outdoor patio. Check out their calendar for food truck schedules and events.
Blue Pants Brewery
- There are plenty of seats at Blue Pants Brewery with an indoor taproom and 1,200 feet outdoor patio featuring live music 2 days a week. 6 of the 12 beers of draft can be sampled in a large flight. The peanut butter porter is pants down our favorite. With an awesome logo, we were disappointed in the lack of merchandise available for purchase.