Sweaty, tired, and hungry, our G Adventures group arrives in the small bohemian town of Montezuma. We follow our guide up the dirt road along the beach to Hotel La Cascada. Dropping off our bags, we walk back into town for lunch at Soda La Naranja.
1. Wonderful People
- Sweaty, tired, and hungry our G Adventures group of 16 arrivesdin the small bohemian town of Montezuma. Sitting down at Soda La Naranja our group filed the small cafe. The waitress and cook quickly got to work taking and preparing orders. Soon another “waitress” assisted with filling drink orders. As our guide finished chatting with who we assume was a second waitress, we learned she was a local taxi driver. She saw our group arrive while she was eating lunch. Knowing the staff of 2 would be overwhelmed, she immediately started helping by taking orders and waiting tables. After she finished cleaning away our empty dishes, she ate the rest of her lunch, and walked back to her cab.
2. Beautiful Beaches
- Many small hermit crabs can be seen wandering along the sand. Costa Rica is home to over 800 species of hermit crabs, but only about 15% live on land.
3. Free Waterfalls
4. Isla Tortuga
- We stayed at the family run Hotel La Cascada throughout our time in Montezuma. They offer laundry services, a ride anytime they passed us walking along the road, and surfing lessons. Our last night in Montezuma the family organized a bonfire on the beach and a private barbecue dinner for our group at the hotel.
6. Delicious Food
Soda Monte Sol
- Our favorite place for breakfast in Montezuma opens at 7:00am, Soda Monte Sol. We returned every day upon discovering the dense, banana pancakes and breakfast options of fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, and toast.
- Located at the edge of town is the hotel and restaurant, Cocolores. After walking down the dark path, an ocean side terrace comes into view softly illuminated by hanging lanterns. The menu consists of Mexican, Thai, Greek, and Italian cuisine. The ambiance, craft beer, and great vibes may have contributed, but the curry at Cocolores was one of our favorite meals in Costa Rica.
- We follow the beer flow chart and order our corresponding beers: Nazanja, a reddish ale, Osuza, a new Belgium, and Illozena, a brown ale. All are brewed locally on the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula at La Selva Cerveza Artsenanal.
7. Butterfly Brewing Company
- Before leaving for Costa Rica, we found a brewery near our hotel. Unsure of the exact location, we began climbing up a steep, dirt road in search of Butterfly Brewing Company. After climbing hill after hill, a sign for Mariposario Montezuma Gardens and Butterfly Brewing Company appeared.
The view from the bar in Clandestina Restaurant overlooking the rain forest made the long hike worth it. We ordered a flight of the 3 available beers: Luna Azul, Summerweizen, and Earthquake IPA. There is a small menu of appetizers, salads, and fish. We recommend the tacos ticos and empanadas.
We recommend visiting Butterfly Brewing during the day. On our walk back at night our IPhone flashlights were the only sources of light at times between sparsely placed street lights.
We hear land crabs scattering across the road and burrowing beneath the dry leaves in the nearby banks. During the rainy season, the crabs make the journey to the coast to lay their eggs. The crabs travel in a straight line regardless of obstacles obstructing their paths. Many crabs become trapped in kitchens, bathrooms, homes or killed crossing the road.
9. Great Pizza
Running out of time, we stop at Bruno’s Pizza. Varieties of pizza can be purchased by the slice and enjoyed in the colorful dining room or on the upstairs balcony.
10. Beach Bars
Chico’s Bar is the center of Montezuma’s night life. There is a circus or fire show almost every night and frequent impromptu dance shows.
* For more information on our tour check out: G Adventures Costa Rica on a Shoestring.
- Day 1: Fly into San José
- Day 2: San José travel to La Fortuna
- Day 3: La Fortuna
- Day 4: La Fortuna travel to Montezuma
- Day 5: Montezuma
- Day 6: Montezuma
- Day 7: Montezuma travel to San José
- Day 8: Fly out of San José