Lake Tahoe, the second deepest lake in the United States, is surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The scenic 72 mile drive around the lake is filled with public parks, beaches, and picnic areas to stop and enjoy the view
Alibi Ale Works
Staying near Incline Village, we drive to the highly recommended T’s Mesquite Rotisserie for dinner. Open 11:00am – 8:00pm every day serving burritos and tacos stuffed with fire roasted meats, this restaurant lives up to its expectations. Note: this restaurant does not accept credit cards.
- Just around the corner from T’s Mesquite Rotisserie is Alibi Ale Works Production Brewery and Taproom. The second location in Truckee, California is a public house with experimental brewing and live music.
Squaw Valley Ski Resort
- We awake early the next morning and drive to Squaw Valley Ski Resort in Olympic Valley, California. The host of the 1960 Winter Olympics was voted the number one ski resort in North America in 2016.
- Taking the Aerial Tram to the High Camp ice skating rink, we have an uninterrupted view of the Sierra mountains and ski trails 2,000 feet below.
- Unfortunately, due to record amounts of snow the winter of 2016/2017 the Olympic Ice Pavilion is now closed due to irreparable damage. High Camp is still worth a visit offering 2 dining options, a pool and hot tub, and Olympic Museum.
- The view of the snow covered mountains below from the ice pavilion is beautiful. As we skate around the rink, we are at the mercy of the wind. Power skating against the gust, we fight to reach the other end of the rink. Rounding the bend, the wind fiercely pushes us back to the other side.
After ice skating we visit The Village at Squaw Valley, a European-style collection of shops, restaurants, and entertainment. We warm up and enjoy a beer at Auld Dubliner Irish Pub and Restaurant.
Tahoe Mountain Brewing Company
- While in California, we drive off the beaten path to Tahoe Mountain Brewing Company in Truckee. While enjoying our beer flight, we learn about their second location, Tahoe Mountain Brew Pub in Tahoe City, near Incline Village.
Traveling Gingerbread Note: Unfortunately the Brew Pub offering dinner and a great view of the sunset over Lake Tahoe is now closed.
Kings Beach State Recreation Area
- Located on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe is the 979 feet picnic area, Kings Beach State Recreation Area.
- A great lunch spot near Kings Beach is Char-Pit. The family owned restaurant originally operated as a walk up hamburger stand opened in 1962. Now the small restaurant offers hamburgers, sandwiches, hot dogs, and even a couple vegetarian friendly options.
Diamond Peak Ski Resort
Located in Incline Village, I.V. Coffee Lab is a great stop before driving only a few minutes to Diamond Peak Ski Resort. For beginner skiers, it is less crowded and the lift tickets are more affordable.
- Although only 2 of the 27 trails are beginner level, the view of Lake Tahoe on the skiing down the Lodgepole Trail is amazing. The longest trail is just over 2 miles.
After a day of skiing, we drive to Rookie’s Sports Bar for late night pizza. Being the only customers, the service was great and the bartender taught us a lot about the area.
If we had one more day, we would drive the 72 miles around the lake, instead we spend the evening packing our bags in preparation of our flight back to Pittsburgh tomorrow morning.