Lake Tahoe, the second deepest lake in the United States, is surrounded by the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The scenic 72 mile drive around the lake is filled with public parks, beaches, and picnic areas to stop and enjoy the view
Alibi Ale Works
Staying near Incline Village, we drive to the highly recommended T’s Mesquite Rotisserie for a bite to eat. Burritos and tacos stuffed with fire roasted meats, this restaurant lived up to its expectations.
- After dinner, we walk just around the corner to Alibi Ale Works Brewery and Taproom before turning in for the evening. Their second location is in Truckee, California.
Squaw Valley Ski Resort
- We awake early the next morning and drive to Squaw Valley Ski Resort in Olympic Valley, California. The host of the 1960 Winter Olympics was voted the number one ski resort in North America in 2016.
- Taking the Aerial Tram to the ice skating rink, we have an uninterrupted view of the Sierra mountains and ski trails two thousand feet below.
- Unfortunately, due to record amounts of snow the winter of 2016/2017 the Olympic Ice Pavilion is now closed due to irreparable damage.
- The view from the ice pavilion was breathtaking. As we skate around the rink, we are at the mercy of the wind. Power skating against the gust, I fight to reach the other end of the rink. Rounding the bend, the wind fiercely pushes me back to the other side.
After ice skating we visit The Village at Squaw Valley, a European-style collection of shops, restaurants, and entertainment. We warm up and enjoy a beer at Auld Dubliner Irish Pub and Restaurant.
Tahoe Mountain Brewing Company
- While in California, we drive off the beaten path to Tahoe Mountain Brewing Company in Truckee. While enjoying our beer flight, we learn about their second location, Tahoe Mountain Brew Pub in Tahoe City, very close to our accommodations. Later we stop for dinner and a great view of the sunset over Lake Tahoe.
Kings Beach State Recreation Area
- Driving back from Truckee, we visit Kings Beach State Recreation Area before having lunch at Char-Pit. The family owned restaurant originally operated as a walk up hamburger stand opened in 1962.
Diamond Peak Ski Resort
Staying near Incline Village, we stop at I.V. Coffee Lab the next morning before driving only a few minutes to Diamond Peak Ski Resort. As a beginner skier, it is less crowded and the lift tickets are more affordable.
- Although there were only a couple of easier trails, the view of Lake Tahoe on the way down the mountain is amazing.
After a day of skiing, we drive to Rookie’s Sports Bar for late night pizza. Being the only customers, the service was great and the bartender taught us a lot about the area.
Wishing we had one more day to drive the 72 miles around the lake, we pack our bags in preparation of our flight back to Pittsburgh tomorrow morning.